Commercial EPC exemptions Eagle property solutions understand that sometimes it can be slightly unclear to understanding if your commercial property falls under the category of commercial EPC exemption. Under usual circumstances an EPC is expected to be obtained by any landlord who seeks to sell or rent a property. This usually applies to any building which uses any form of energy to change the conditions of the indoor climate. This can include things such as gas or electrical boilers and heating. The heating of water is not included as something which is regarded as changing the indoor living or working conditions. Although an EPC is a legal requirement under government guidelines, there are however, some instances which mean the requirement of a commercial EPC is exempt. Please allow us a Eagle property solutions clear up some of these uncertainties. Some of these exemptions are as follows:-
Commercial EPC exemptions
- Any property with a lease which is due for a renewal.
- Any extensions that were built before October 2008.
- Any building which is regarded as an established place of worship.
- Stand alone (detached) buildings which take up an area of less than 50 square metres. This does not include retail tenement buildings.
- Properties which have been to be consented to demolition within a two year period. (Proof of permission must be provided as evidence to qualify for exemption.
- Some specific buildings with a low energy demand. For example, any building which only seeks to facilitate industrial activities.
Not all of the exemptions are listed and there may be more circumstances within which an EPC exemption is allowed. There are also many grey areas in regards to EPC exemption and it is always suggested to clarify and confirm your situation. Eagle property solutions would always advise to seek legal advice in regards to the matter of EPC exemption, however in the meantime we are happy to help with any of your enquiries.
There are very few buildings which fall under the EPC exemption rules. This means it is always best to get a greater understanding of your personal circumstances. If you are not sure as to your standing in regards to personal EPC requirements, please do not hesitate to contact us at, Eagle property solutions.